Medical Negligence and Mal-Practice
At Byrne CarolanCunningham Solicitors, we have a wealth of experience in medical injuries and managing medical negligence claims, acting on behalf of clients in personal injury cases arising due to the negligence of hospitals, consultants, doctors, nurses, pharmacists, dentists and other healthcare professionals. Normally, such healthcare professionals will be insured against medical negligence compensation claims and those who are not may be indemnified by the insurance policy that covers their employer.
A medical negligence compensation claim involves a claim for damages against healthcare professionals for personal injury and loss caused as a result of erroneous clinical treatment or diagnosis. To prove a medical negligence compensation claim it is necessary to prove that a duty of care exists, that the treatment failed to achieve a reasonable standard of care and that the injury was actually caused or exacerbated by erroneous treatment or late diagnosis or mis-diagnosis.
An award of damages in a medical negligence compensation claim is designed to put the claimant back into the position that they would have been at, had the negligent act not taken place. Whilst this may be impossible, financial awards in medical negligence compensation claims will take many factors into account including damages for physical and psychological pain and suffering, loss of past and possibly future income, cost of care, compensation for loss of opportunity, chance.
Examples of Medical Negligence we can assist with and advise upon:
• Accident & Emergency Claims
• Acquired Brain Injury Claims
• Birth related injuries to a mother or her child such as:
• Brachial Plexus & Erbs Palsy Injuries
• Cancer misdiagnosis and delay in treatment.
• Cerebral Palsy
• Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Claims
• Cosmetic Surgery Claims
• Defective Medical Products Claims
• Dental Injury Claims
• Dentistry malpractice.
• DePuy hip replacement claims
• Erbs Palsy and Brachial Plexus injuries
• Eye Related Claims
• Fatal Injury Claims
• General Medical Problems
• General Surgery Claims
• GP Claims
• Gynaecological & Obstetric Injury Claims
• Hospital Acquired Infection Claims
• Hospital acquired infections.
• Injuries arising from complications with twins
• Losing the ability to have future children due to complications in labour
• Narcolepsy Claims
• Negligent care in the Accident and Emergency room.
• Oncology & Cancer Claims
• Perineal tears
• Psychiatric Injuries
• Spinal Injury Claims
• Surgical errors.
We have extensive knowledge and experience in dealing with all types of medical accidents.
There are two types of Medical Accidents which are categorised as:
1. Professional malpractice.
2. Personal Injury in a medical environment.
Personal injury claims are medical accidents that can happen to patients, visitors and staff working in a hospital or health centre. These are more likely to be associated with poorly maintained public access, such as an uneven floor or slippery surface and MRSA infections or other hospital-acquired diseases are also considered to be medical accidents
Despite the distinction between the two types of medical accidents, where there is evidence to suggest that the medical accident was caused by another person’s lack of care, you should be entitled to compensation.
Please feel free to call or email us for practical advice and valuable information in total confidentiality and without any obligation on you to proceed with a claim for medical accidents compensation.
* In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.